Is it really hard to eat healthy? I wrote most of this blog after I posted this humorous video several months ago on my Facebook page, His whole foods.
A nutritionist keeps bursting into a home telling a couple not to eat their Standard American Diet (SAD) breakfast, coming back every 5 years or so with “new “information”, each time contradicting or changing what he had said 5 years prior. ”. I countered the eye catching title “This is why eating healthy is hard” when I shared it with this statement “It does not have to be that hard if you use His Word and how He created things to figure out the truth. “Health facts” (that man figures out) keep changing, I have watched this for over 30 years. The way He created things has not changed. But man figures out one part and thinks he has thee answer for healthy eating. His creation is much more complex than the little things man figures out. Man cannot figure out how every little thing (aka chemical reactions, there are too many of them!) works in our bodies.Let’s look at few of the health claims and fads I remember over the past 30 years and compare them to how He created things and what His Word says! Keep in mind that these all were backed by “scientific studies”, and promoted by books and media.
• All cholesterol is bad ( 80’s), combat it with OAT BRAN!! Oh, what hype and fad!! Studies were published, books were written on it, the media reported it! You could buy oat bran in grocery stores and in bulk in food coops, it was eaten as porridge and added to almost all bakery items, boxed mixes and cereals, to “make them healthy”! Until several years later when it was shown to not lower cholesterol. But the anti all cholesterol phase continued for a while until it was discovered some cholesterol was good. Looking at how He created oat bran, it was part of the whole oat seed. Man isolated it out of the whole grain oat that He put it in, out of the protective packaging that He provided for it. In this case, fortunately this fad did not last more than several years, so negative effects were not observed as they may have been if it had gone on for longer, as has happened with many other health fads.
• All fat is bad, (late 80’s) , reduce or eliminate it from your diet. Some people did eliminate all fat from their diet, to the extent of even refusing to eat His whole foods that have fat (like avocado, olives, nuts and seeds) . If they did eat avocado, it was recommended to not eat more than a ¼ of one at a time because of the high fat content! Then is was realized that we do need healthy fats in our diets, and now some are even promoting high fat diets!
• All carbohydrates are to be avoided or reduced greatly! (late 90’s early 2000’s to current) This diet eliminates many of the whole foods that He provided for us! Need I say more? Then it came out that there are good and bad carbohydrates. The reason people felt so much better eliminating carbs is that they stopped eating refined, aka processed carbs, the bad ones.
• Whole grains, since high in fiber and nutrients, contribute to a healthy intestine and body. (80’s) Stories circulated of people getting healthier and losing weight just switching to whole grain bakery products. Now, the gluten in those whole grains, especially wheat, is blamed for many ailments, starting in the gut, and grains of any type except “ancient” are taboo! But the “gluten free” fad that followed this has put many people right back where they were, eating processed foods that are making them sick, while thinking they are eating healthy because it is “gluten free”.
• All gluten is bad. I am waiting for that to be changed to some good, some bad,…or all good, as has happen with all other “bad guys “ of food that I am showing here, but these are just a few examples. Already there is a lot of evidence that it is really the glyphosate sprayed on grains at harvesting that causes the problems gluten is blamed for. There is an even newer” culprits causing these problems” that I will share in the next article of this series.
• Spelt came out as better for you than wheat, “the Bible wheat”, was the hearsay in the 90’s. (we did not have PC’s to google things back then). There were some people who had problems with wheat that did not have problems with spelt. Several years ago when I researched it to see if, spelt was really the original grain ( or closer to Biblical wheat) I found information saying spelt was a hybrid of a hybrid, not close to the original wheat. But now it is one of the close- to- original wheats again! And there are several grains claimed as the original, depending on where you look.
• Following this has been the “ancient grains” fad, putting any grain that is different, and from all over the world, into a sacred category. They are supposed to be best for you ….until it is discovered that they are being grown or harvested in some wrong way and causing health issues, if not organically grown (yes, that is a prediction, based on years of observing how these things go, what happen to other grains) .
• Coconut oil is bad for you (in 90’s ) , then good for you the past 10 years, now some are saying it is bad for you again ( based on one characteristic of it!) All oils will be covered later in this series, but just to state the unthought of obvious, they are not a whole food, in His protective packaging .
• Sugar was clearly established as bad for you (70’s and before) , corn syrup looked better for a while ( 70’s and beyond) . But once it’s detriment to your health was discovered, and then corn was Genetically Modified (90’s) , then somehow cane sugar was better for you than corn syrup!!( they both cause the same problems, because they both have been extracted out of the protective package of His whole foods) . When eaten as He packaged them, they cannot be over eaten. He provided them in a protective package. But when we extract them, we are putting something in our bodies that He did not make our bodies be able to handle!
• The same can be said about most “healthy, plant based” sugars, most of them are the same as above, isolated out of His whole food protective packaging and therefore detrimental to our good health eaten more than very occasionally. The exceptions to being isolated foods are date sugar , which is dehydrated dates, and green stevia powder, which is dehydrated stevia leaves.
• I have watched laboratory produced sugar substitutes come and go, always introduced as a healthy alternative to sugar, but then after several years to a decade, their toxic effect on the body gets discovered.
• Then “raw” sugar came out (around turn of century?) ! How is that even raw?! It was still boiled down, just one less process to get out all the molasses. It is still isolated out of its protective packaging and causing all kinds of health problems.
So you see, the pendulum of study results and therefore the newest health information swings every 5-10 years from one extreme to another. That is why this video that promoted this post could be made stating this was why it is hard to eat healthy, the information keeps changing, how do you really know what is healthy? But the reality of how He created foods to nourish us does not change! He placed us in a garden and gave us a wide variety of delicious whole foods to enjoy. These foods provide good health. Most health and nutrition professionals agree on the need for lots of fruits and vegetables in your diet, they vary on the other elements of diet, but they agree on that. We do not need to understand how every chemical reaction occurs in our bodies to be healthy. Indeed, we cannot possibly know all of these reactions, our bodies are way to complex. So, you do not have to worry about the latest studies, or worry about which processed foods are healthy, most are not. If you decide to eat His provision of whole foods, you do not need to read labels, since you will not be buying processed foods! Shopping for healthy food, His whole foods, is much simpler than shopping in the whole grocery store looking for not-so-unhealthy food. Instead you can mainly go to the produce section, or farmers market, or a local farmer’s yard.